Integrative Medical Care and Consultation in San Francisco
Integrative Medicine Offers the Very Best of All Available Options
We define integrative medicine as healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person (body, mind, and spirit), including all aspects of lifestyle. It emphasizes the therapeutic relationship and makes use of all appropriate therapies, both conventional and alternative.
Functional medicine is a related discipline that uses a focused methodology to find the root causes of illness using a comprehensive history, thorough physical exam, and advanced diagnostic testing. Using a personalized approach the doctor and patient then collaboratively develop a treatment plan, working in concert with other professionals as needed.
Our Integrative Medical Doctors
Dr. Paul Abramson is one of 35 physicians worldwide to have completed a Residential Senior Fellowship at Dr. Andrew Weil’s Center for Integrative Medicine (http://integrativemedicine NULL.arizona NULL.edu) at the University of Arizona. He also completed advanced training in functional medicine through the Institute for Functional Medicine, adding to his background as an electrical engineer and existing repertoire of diagnostic and therapeutic tools.
Dr. Kirsten Marcus is completing a Fellowship with Dr. Weil’s Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine and is Board Certified in Internal Medicine. She offers a unique combination of acute care medical expertise, scientific training and a commitment to the principles of integrative medicine.
Drs. Abramson and Marcus work closely with other types of practitioners, if needed, to assemble the right team for your particular situation. We work with on-site experts and a network of top specialists in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine, Psychotherapy and Behavioral Medicine, Medical Nutrition Therapy, Manual Medicine and other disciplines.
The Defining Principles of Integrative Medicine (Adapted from AzCIM)
- Patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness, and disease are taken into consideration, including mind, spirit, and community, as well as the body.
- Appropriate use of both conventional and alternative methods facilitates the body’s innate healing response.
- Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive should be used whenever possible.
- Integrative medicine neither rejects conventional medicine nor accepts alternative therapies uncritically.
- Good medicine is based in good science. It is inquiry-driven and open to new paradigms.
- Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and the prevention of illness are paramount.
- Practitioners of integrative medicine should exemplify its principles and commit themselves to self-exploration and self-development.
Integrative Medicine Consultation – What to Expect
In addition to being highly trained in conventional medicine (including hospital medicine and intensive care), our doctors practice and refer to the right combination of complementary therapies, if needed:
- Medical Nutrition Therapy;
- Dietary supplements and botanical treatments;
- Traditional Chinese Medicine, including acupuncture, herbs and other modalities;
- Manual medicine, such as osteopathy and myofascial release;
- Medical hypnosis and other mind-body techniques;
- Mindfulness training and breathing techniques;
- Psychotherapy and cognitive techniques;
- Yoga and tai chi;
- Self tracking and Quant Coaching
- And many other potential options, depending on each individual situation.
We also work with a network of the very best conventional specialists, both in San Francisco and around the world, to provide you the most appropriate diagnostic and treatment approaches to your individual condition.
Benefit from Our Approach
- You get the very best medical care, tailored to you as a unique individual;
- We apply the most appropriate modalities, typically a combination of conventional and alternative, based on a comprehensive evaluation of your condition;
- We take the least forceful and most gentle approach that is appropriate to achieve desired results;
- We help you identify and coordinate other practitioners and specialists, as appropriate;
- You typically take an active role in your care– we work together collaboratively to remove impediments to the healing process;
- We are meticulous about our ethics and transparency so that you can feel confident that we are offering you the best possible options, without conflicts of interest.
To Schedule an Appointment or for More Information
Call us today on (415) 963-4431 or send us an email enquiry.