For Individuals and Families
San Francisco Bay Area
Expedited Next-Business-Day COVID-19 PCR Testing Now Available
Get Tested for COVID-19
Those who want testing for the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (which causes the disease COVID-19), currently have to seek care from hospitals, corporate chain clinics or government drive-throughs. Many of these facilities reserve testing only for people who are symptomatic, need to be admitted to the hospital or are otherwise very ill. There is also a concern about sub-par specimen collection techniques and transport, leading to a higher false-negative rate.
Many people want to know if they or a loved one have COVID-19 and do not want to take the risk of going to the ER where they may be exposed to pathogens or have to wait for hours only to be turned away due to not being emergently sick.
Others want antibody testing to give them an idea if they have been recently or more remotely infected and recovered.
We can perform combined nasopharyngeal swab PCR and antibody testing at our secure clinic space in San Francisco, or your home in the Bay Area. Regardless of the collection site, we use full protective equipment and meticulous technique to ensure optimal collection technique and everyone's safety.
Why Should I Get Tested?
- PCR to Find Current Infection. If you want to know if you are currently infectious to others, even if you are not symptomatic, then the Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR test is the most sensitive test currently available.
- This is the best technology currently available for maximum sensitivity and specificity, and is thus considered the "gold standard" against which other types of tests are compared.
- Thus many governments are requiring negative COVID-19 PCR testing within 72 hours of arrival, sooner in some cases, to ensure entry without quarantine.
- What about antibody testing? Antibody testing is not a reliable way to pick up current or recent infection, and is not accepted by governments.
- What about rapid antigen testing? Rapid antigen testing technology does not provide enough sensitivity to rely on - it misses up to 30-50% of active cases. Thus it is generally not acceptable for important screening.
The COVID-19 Testing Process: What to Expect
In Our Secure Clinic. The most cost effective option is to self schedule online (https://mydoctorsf NULL.intakeq NULL.com/booking) and visit our office, where we have valet parking, sparsely-used elevators, a mask for you, full PPE for us, and low patient volume for optimal safety. We have an expedited option offering next-day results.
At Your Home. Our collection expert comes to you in full PPE and performs a collection in the safety of your own home. Safe and secure, but higher cost. Inquire about costs by calling us.
PCR Tests on deep Nasopharyngeal Swab. This test identifies whether you have a current and infectious case of COVID-19. We collect specimens using meticulous technique (deep/prolonged nasopharyngeal swab and transport to a laboratory. These tests do have a small false-negative rate (<10%), but they are the currently-best technology available. With our expedited option results are back the next business day after collection.
Antibody Blood Test. This test identifies whether you may have been infected by SARS-CoV-2 in the past. This involves a blood draw so we can run the antibody tests on your serum. We run tests at a large commercial reference lab, with 3-5 day turnaround time.
Expert Consultation and Results Interpretation. It can be challenging to interpret these test results so you can use them most productively. For each person, their individual history and pre-test risk must be combined with knowledge of each test's characteristics, and then integrated into a clinical impression that can guide next steps. Our medical providers are experts in helping you interpret your results. Inquire if you wish this service.
Fees at Our Clinic
- Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR Only.
- $240 out of pocket if you have commercial insurance or Medicare.
- Extra lab fee if Kaiser, uninsured or expedited.
- Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR Plus Antibody Testing.
- $295 out of pocket if you have commercial insurance or Medicare.
- Extra lab fee if Kaiser, uninsured or expedited.
- Group Rates Available (4 or more at same appointment).
- Turnaround time:
- 2-8 days at Labcorp or Quest. These labs have been extremely backed up as of July 2020.
- Extra $125 for expedited 24-hour turnaround time at a local lab.
Fees At Your Home
- Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR Plus Antibody Testing
- $1250 for first person, $395 each additional person (fees if you have commercial insurance or Medicare)
- $125 extra per person for expedited next-business-day results.
- Why is home collection so expensive? Our collection expert has to travel to and from your home, carry specimens to the lab, use a full set of PPE and take the risk of operating in an unknown and potentially infectious environment.
- CONTACT US to inquire about testing at home. Availability is limited based on geography.
About My Doctor Medical Group
We are a unique concierge medical practice in San Francisco, providing excellence in private medical care, both primary care and sub-specialties. We provide comprehensive care across outpatient, home and hospital settings.
Dr. Paul Abramson, our founder and medical director, has been an early innovator in COVID-19 testing, providing an evidence-based and legitimate option amidst a "wild west" of testing products and claims. Dr. Abramson has two engineering degrees from Stanford and uses the latest data and statistics to help our patients make the best use of available test technology, understanding its value and limitations.
Paul Abramson MD