For Individuals and Families
San Francisco Bay Area
Testing at Our Secure Clinic or Your Home
Those who want testing for the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (which causes the disease COVID-19), currently have to seek care from hospitals, corporate chain clinics or government drive-throughs. Many of these facilities reserve testing only for people who are symptomatic, need to be admitted to the hospital or are otherwise very ill. There is also a concern about sub-par specimen collection techniques and transport, leading to a higher false-negative rate.
Many people want to know if they or a loved one have COVID-19 and do not want to take the risk of going to the ER where they may be exposed to pathogens or have to wait for hours only to be turned away due to not being emergently sick.
Others want antibody testing to give them an idea if they have been recently or more remotely infected and recovered.
We can perform combined nasopharyngeal swab PCR and antibody testing at our secure clinic space in San Francisco, or your home in the Bay Area. Regardless of the collection site, we use full protective equipment and meticulous technique to ensure optimal collection technique and everyone's safety.
Why Should I Get Tested?
PCR to Find Current Infection.
- If you want to know if you are currently infectious to others, even if you are not symptomatic, then the Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR test is the most sensitive test currently available.
- This can be useful before visiting relatives, before returning to a work environment, and in order to evaluate current symptoms to see if they're due to COVID-19.
What about antibody testing? There has been a lot of press about the pros, cons and potential uses for antibody testing.
- We do not yet know if the presence of antibodies confers immunity to future COVID-19 infection.
- Not all people develop antibodies who have had COVID-19.
- People who have had other kinds of coronavirus infections (common cold viruses) might have similar antibodies.
- The latest antibody tests at large labs are quite accurate, but the above limitations are important.
- Therefore, we do test people for antibodies upon request, but advise them to continue the same infection-prevention precautions regardless of the test result, until we have data that suggests antibodies confer immunity, and for how long.
The COVID-19 Testing Process: What to Expect
In Our Secure Clinic. The most cost effective option is to self schedule online (https://mydoctorsf NULL.intakeq NULL.com/booking) and visit our office, where we have valet parking, sparsely-used elevators, a mask for you, full PPE for us, and low patient volume for optimal safety.
At Your Home. Our collection expert comes to you in full PPE and performs a collection in the safety of your own home. Safe and secure.
Antibody Blood Test. This test identifies whether you may have been infected by SARS-CoV-2 in the past. This involves a blood draw so we can run the antibody tests on your serum. We run tests at a large commercial reference lab.
PCR Tests on deep Nasopharyngeal Swab. This test identifies whether you have a current and infectious case of COVID-19. We collect specimens using meticulous technique (deep/prolonged nasopharyngeal swab and transport to a reference laboratory. These tests do have a small false-negative rate, but they are the current gold standard.
Expert Consultation and Results Interpretation. It can be challenging to interpret these test results so you can use them most productively. For each person, their individual history and pre-test risk must be combined with knowledge of each test's characteristics, and then integrated into a clinical impression that can guide next steps. Our medical providers are experts in helping you interpret your results.
Fees at Our Clinic
- Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR Only.
- $240 out of pocket if you have commercial insurance or Medicare.
- If you have Kaiser or are uninsured, $50 extra.
- Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR Plus Antibody Testing.
- $295 out of pocket if you have commercial insurance or Medicare.
- If you have Kaiser or are uninsured, $95 extra for PCR+rapid antibodies only, plus optional $125 for confirmatory Labcorp antibodies.
- Group Rates Available (4 or more at same appointment).
- We do not perform antibody-only testing without nasal swab testing, since antibodies will miss a current asymptomatic infection.
Fees At Your Home
- Nasopharyngeal Swab PCR Plus Antibody Testing
- $895 for first person, $295 each additional person (fees if you have commercial insurance or Medicare)
- If a patient has Kaiser or is uninsured, $95 extra for PCR+rapid antibodies only, plus optional $125 for confirmatory Labcorp antibodies.
- Why is home collection so expensive? Our collection expert has to travel to and from your home, carry specimens to the lab, use a full set of PPE and take the risk of operating in an unknown and potentially infectious environment.
- CONTACT US to inquire about testing at home. Availability is limited based on geography.
About My Doctor Medical Group
We are a unique concierge medical practice in San Francisco, providing excellence in private medical care, both primary care and sub-specialties. We provide comprehensive care across outpatient, home and hospital settings.
Dr. Paul Abramson, our founder and medical director, has been an early innovator in COVID-19 testing, providing an evidence-based and legitimate option amidst a "wild west" of testing products and claims. Dr. Abramson has two engineering degrees from Stanford and uses the latest data and statistics to help our patients make the best use of available test technology, understanding its value and limitations.
Paul Abramson MD