COVID-19 Testing for Travel Next-Day RT-PCR
Main Office in Downtown San Francisco
Berkeley Office Open Now With Limited Days
More Dates in Berkeley Opening Soon
Medical and Travel Security Risk: Emergency evacuation and medical support are important to think about and often not well-covered by regular health insurance and credit cards. Dr. Abramson, our medical director, uses Ripcord Rescue for his own high-risk international travel. Click here for more information.
Pre-Travel COVID Testing Program
We get it right the first time. States and countries now require a very-recent RT-PCR COVID test for travel. Furthermore, the rules vary by destination, ranging from 48 hours before arrival to 96 hours before departure. While we do offer rapid COVID testing for travel we do not use Abbot or Cephelid rapid tests which are not accurate (see below).
- Expedited next-day by 5 PM results using true RT-PCR technology (NAA) on a deep nasopharyngeal swab.
- Our documentation is compliant with all destination states and countries.
- We offer professional and responsive service.
Our travel COVID tests are
- RT-PCR (Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction)
- NAA Test a.k.a. NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test)
- IMPORTANTLY: RT-PCR is a type of PCR test. Thus any country that requires "PCR" testing will also have to accept RT-PCR. It's the same thing! Our lab report does specify that the test is "RT-PCR, also known as PCR"
- Done with a deep nasopharyngeal swab by a licensed health professional
- Run by a lab certified by CLIA (CMS) and CDPH (California)
- Approved by all states and countries except (as of 10/25/20) Hawai'i, which only approved large corporate testing
- For specific country requirements: COVID-19 Travel Testing Requirements by Country
Custom Documentation and Fit-To-Fly Certificate for Specific Destinations
- Hong Kong specific certificates and letters
- Thai "Fit to Fly" Certificate
- Austria Certificate
- Japan Certificate
- Finland Certificate
- And all others
We Meet Timing and Assay Requirements. Many sources of outpatient testing have delayed results (2-14 days) making them useless for travel. Or they use non-compliant rapid antigen (Abbott BinaxNOW), rapid molecular (Abbott ID Now) or LAMP (COLOR) tests.
We are focused on your safety. Our secure testing locations:
- Comply with all County and OSHA safety requirements
- Utilize only highly skilled licensed professionals for test collection.
- Click here for Frequently Asked Questions
Results are delivered electronically to you electronically by 17:00 PM the next day. It's often earlier in the day but our lab guarantees by 5 PM. Contact us after you book if you have specific timing requirements.
- Click here for the specific page on COVID-19 RT-PCR + IgM Antibody testing for Travel to China
TAHITI, FRENCH POLYNESIA
- The Tahiti consulate has approved of My Doctor Medical Group for travel to Tahiti and French Polynesia.
- Our RT-PCR assay is on the approved list for Tahiti.
- Tahiti/French Polynesia Ref (See "prior to departure"): https://tahititourisme.com/en-us/covid-19/
HAWAI'I ONLY - NEW INFO
- As of October 15, the state government of Hawai'i has announced that only tests performed by a limited set of large corporate "partners" will be accepted for entry to Hawai'i. Smaller practices like ours were not notified of this in advance. Travelers to Hawai'i will have to follow the government's required partner list. Hawai'i Ref: https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/
Frequently Asked Questions
COVID-19 Testing Details
Types of Tests
- PCR to Find Current Infection. The Nasopharyngeal Swab RT-PCR test is the most sensitive test currently available to find current infection. This is also the test required for entry into other states and countries.It has the maximum sensitivity and specificity and is the "gold standard."
- What about antibody testing? Antibody testing is not a reliable way to pick up current or recent infection, and is not accepted by any governments except for China which requires IgM antibody testing in addition to RT-PCR. The presence or absence of antibodies also cannot reliably predict immunity.
- What about rapid antigen or rapid molecular testing? Rapid antigen and rapid molecular testing technology is not considered reliable. Furthermore it was not developed to diagnose asymptomatic infection and misses up to 30-50% of active cases. All governments seem to recognize its inferiority (except Hawai'i).
Location of tests
- At our Secure Clinics at 450 Sutter, San Francisco and on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley:
- We comply with all City, County, OSHA and CDC guidelines and have had perfect scores on audits.
- Valet parking in the building, or less expensive parking at Sutter Stocktoon Garage 1/2 block away.
- Limited number of people on each elevator.
- Patient visits spaced out for optimal safety.
- Medical air filtration in testing area
- All surfaces cleaned with antimicrobials between each patient visit.
- Your safety is our first priority.
- Secure Clinic on Telegraph Ave in Berkeley
- Limited dates are now available. More dates being opened up on an ongoing basis, visible on our booking site.
- At Your Home.
- Our collection expert comes to you in full PPE and performs a collection in the safety of your own home.
- Safe and secure, but higher cost.
- Availability is limited. Please plan ahead.
- For scheduling, call us or reach out to us via our Contact Form
Fees at Our Clinic
- $240 for visit and swab collection.
- $125 lab fee for PCR testing with next-day results.
- Custom travel documentation and certificates: $35/person extra (in addition to lab report) if needed for your destination. Read above under FAQ for details.
- Payment is due in full; your credit card will be charged on the day of service. 48 hour cancelation policy.
- Commercial PPO insurance may reimburse fees out of network in part or full to you later, depending on your policy. We partner with Franklin who can help you submit claims.
Fees At Your Home
- $995 for first person at a given site and time, $520 each additional person.
- Includes lab fee with next-day results.
- Custom travel documentation and certificates: $35/person extra (in addition to lab report) if needed for your destination.
- Additional fees may apply:
- Travel time more than 15 minutes from our main office.
- Services outside of business hours and on weekends.
- Rush service.
CONTACT US to inquire about testing at home. Availability is limited.
My Doctor Medical Group Can be Your New Concierge Doctor
We are a unique concierge medical practice in San Francisco, providing excellence in private medical care, both primary care and sub-specialties. Additionally, we provide comprehensive care across outpatient, home and hospital settings. Our team includes two primary physicians, a cardiologist, three physician assistants, three registered nurses, three psychotherapists, a dietitian, an acupuncturist, a practice manager and an amazing and accomplished group of Patient Care Coordinators who tie it all together.
Dr. Paul Abramson, our founder, has been an early innovator in COVID-19 testing, providing an evidence-based and legitimate option amidst a "wild west" of testing products and claims. Dr. Abramson also has two engineering degrees from Stanford, a medical degree from UCSF where is now a Clinical Assistant Professor, and is double board certified in Family Medicine and Addiction Medicine and completed a Fellowship in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona (AzCIM).
Dr. Deena Neff completed postgraduate medical training at UCSF, is board certified in Family Medicine and completed a Fellowship in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona (AzCIM). She brings 30 years of experience to her practice of medicine and is deeply humanistic in her approach to the doctor-patient relationship.
Importantly, My Doctor Medical Group is centrally located at the historic 450 Sutter building in downtown San Francisco,
Please Contact Us if you need a concierge medical doctor in San Francisco.
Paul Abramson MD