Preoperative Medical Evaluation
With COVID-19 Testing
San Francisco Bay Area
Expedited Next-Business-Day COVID-19 PCR Testing Now Available
Keep Your Surgeon or Dentist Operating Safely
COVID-19 has transformed the landscape of health care. From mid-March to mid-May 2020 in San Francisco, all elective surgery and procedures were stopped, dramatically decreasing surgical volume and leaving patients out in the cold who needed procedures that were not deemed emergencies.
How can I get my procedure done safely?
At My Doctor Medical Group, an early innovator in COVID-19 testing, we have collaborated with top surgeons to develop a protocol for them to return to the operating room safely, by evaluating, testing, and properly monitoring isolation of patients before their procedure.
This has the advantage of getting you access to needed procedures. And it allows your surgeons to practice while protecting their own and their staff's health.
Our Pre-Surgical Protocol
We have developed a protocol that is customized to each surgeon's unique practice.
- Referral. Your surgeon refers you to My Doctor Medical Group.
- Intake. You follow a streamlined online intake procedure.
- Schedule. You self-schedule appointment with us 3-4 days before the procedure.
- Pre-Operative History and Physical. If required by your surgeon or surgery center, we can do all required medical examinations and testing as part of your testing process.
- COVID-19 Testing. We gather samples at our clinic for gold-standard PCR nasopharyngeal swab testing.
- Isolation and Monitoring. You will self-isolate between the exam and your procedure, to avoid a new infection. We will meet with you via video to monitor this process.
- We report your test results to the surgeon. If all is well, you get your surgery on time.
Paul Abramson MD
About My Doctor Medical Group
My Doctor Medical Group is a unique concierge medicine practice in downtown San Francisco. We have been early innovators in COVID-19 testing, providing an evidence-based and legitimate option amidst a "wild west" of testing products and claims. Our Founder and Medical Director, Paul Abramson MD, has two engineering degrees from Stanford and uses the latest data and statistics to help our patients make the best use of available test technology, understanding its value and limitations.
We aim to provide a seamless and safe experience for our patients who are undergoing surgical procedures, and have the expertise and scope of practice to minimize the medical risk inherent in anesthesia and surgery. Adding COVID-19 testing to our pre-operative screening process is the latest of our custom services.
Why Test 3-4 Days Prior?
COVID-19 has an incubation period of 2-14 days, and it is currently thought that in many cases, for about 2-3 days before fever and other symptoms occur, an individual is potentially shedding the virus and contagious to others.
Thus by testing 3-4 days before your surgical date, and then checking temperature and other symptoms the day of surgery, we hope to increase the sensitivity of testing and improve detection rates.
This time frame also accounts for laboratory turn-around times for results with the most accurate available technology. As more reliable rapid tests become more available our protocols will evolve.
We do not recommend using the Abbott rapid testing platform at this time, pending further data on its sensitivity.f
- COVID-19 PCR Specimen Collection ($165)
- COVID-19 nasopharyngeal swab collection and test interpretation, notification of surgeon.
- Drop-in during specified hours at our secure testing clinic.
- Turn around time 2-8 days. Labcorp and Quest have been extremely backed up as of July 2020.
- NEW: $125 fee for expedited next-business-day result turnaround time at a local lab.
- Extra lab fee if Kaiser, uninsured or expedited.
- Pre-Operative History and Physical (H&P) - If required by your surgeon - please inquire for fees
- Pre-Operative History and Physical Exam (H&P)
- Ordering and interpretation of additional required testing.
- Assessment of perioperative risk and communication with the operative team.
Fees are subject to change without notice. Payment is due at the time the services are scheduled. We are out of network for all insurance. PPO insurance may reimburse part of our fees out of network. Medi-Cal, Medicare and HMO insurance do not reimburse our fees.
Most insurance (except Kaiser) will cover required test fees at Labcorp or Quest. Tests performed or billed through our office will be billed according to our usual fee schedule.