Preoperative Medical Evaluation
With COVID-19 Testing
San Francisco Bay Area
Expedited Next-Day COVID-19 PCR
Downtown San Francisco
Keep Your Surgeon or Dentist Operating Safely
COVID-19 has transformed the landscape of health care. From mid-March to mid-May 2020 in San Francisco, all elective surgery and procedures were stopped, dramatically decreasing surgical volume and leaving patients out in the cold who needed procedures that were not deemed emergencies.
How can I get my procedure done safely?
At My Doctor Medical Group, an early innovator in COVID-19 testing, we have collaborated with top surgeons to develop a protocol for them to return to the operating room safely, by evaluating, testing, and properly monitoring isolation of patients before their procedure.
This has the advantage of getting you access to needed procedures. And it allows your surgeons to practice while protecting their own and their staff's health.
Our Pre-Surgical Protocol
We have developed a protocol that is customized to each surgeon's unique practice.
- Referral. Your surgeon refers you to My Doctor Medical Group.
- Intake. You follow a streamlined online intake procedure.
- Schedule. You self-schedule appointment with us before the procedure (timing per surgeon).
- Pre-Operative History and Physical. If required by your surgeon or surgery center, we can do all required medical examinations and testing as part of your testing process.
- COVID-19 Testing. We gather samples at our clinic for gold-standard PCR nasopharyngeal swab testing.
- Isolation and Monitoring. You will self-isolate between the exam and your procedure, to avoid a new infection. We will meet with you via video to monitor this process.
- We report your test results to the surgeon. If all is well, you get your surgery on time.
Paul Abramson MD
About My Doctor Medical Group
My Doctor Medical Group is a unique concierge medicine practice in downtown San Francisco. We have been early innovators in COVID-19 testing, providing an evidence-based and legitimate option amidst a "wild west" of testing products and claims. Our Founder and Medical Director, Paul Abramson MD, has two engineering degrees from Stanford and uses the latest data and statistics to help our patients make the best use of available test technology, understanding its value and limitations.
We aim to provide a seamless and safe experience for our patients who are undergoing surgical procedures, and have the expertise and scope of practice to minimize the medical risk inherent in anesthesia and surgery. Adding COVID-19 testing to our pre-operative screening process is the latest of our custom services.
Why Test Before Surgery?
By testing with a PCR nasopharyngeal swab 24-72 hours before your surgical date, and then checking temperature and other symptoms the day of surgery, we hope to increase the sensitivity of testing and improve detection rates.
We can now test with next-day results giving you more flexibility about timing while still satisfying your surgeon's requirements.
We do not recommend using the Abbott, Cepheid or other rapid testing platforms at this time, because of concerns about low sensitivity (may miss 30-40% of positive cases in asymptomatic people).
COVID-19 PCR Test on Nasopharyngeal Swab
- $290 including visit/collection fee and lab fee for next-day RT-PCR (delivery by 17:00 pm next day)
- $35 extra for priority delivery by 9:00 am next dayWe do not take insurance. However, if you have commercial PPO insurance you can send them our superbill and they may reimburse fees out of network in part or full to you later, depending on your policy.
Pre-Operative History and Physical (H&P) - If required by your surgeon - please inquire for fees
- Pre-Operative History and Physical Exam (H&P)
- Ordering and interpretation of additional required testing (only available in association with a Pre-Op H&P visit)
- Assessment of perioperative risk and communication with the operative team.
Fees are subject to change without notice. Payment is due at the time the services are scheduled. We are out of network for all insurance and do not take Medicare or Medi-Cal.